Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Journal Four from Jurell

Jurell Flewellen
English 1109 at 11:00am
9/3/2017


Journal 4
The reading of The House on Mango Street and A Long Way Gone is going pretty good. In A Long Way Gone, Beah is very precise when he puts his story together and not afraid to tell the brutally honest truth. When he describes the trials and tribulations he had to go through to survive, as a reader I literally felt like I was visualizing his life and felt sorry for him because no 12 year old should have to live through such deadly circumstances.
            The House on Mango Street is a short but a very interesting story with very unique writing. A strength of Cisneros is her ability to stack up metaphors in a sentence and make it sound good. Even though the writing is improper grammar, she makes not living up to the normal standard of writing look cool. I like both stories but The House on Mango Street better because her descriptions on the people she meet are pretty funny. A Long Way Gone is a great story but sometimes it’s too depressing to keep going.

            Honestly my active reading is going ok. I do the work but I need to pay more attention to the important details. I realized that when I took the quiz Wednesday and I couldn’t remember some of the events. I thought I was in great shape but when it was time to prove myself right, I folded like the Falcons in the superbowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Being 13 John Mauritz

Being 13 was a documentary about teens at the age of 13 and how they use their social media. It was covered over 8 schools, with social medi...