The reading is going great so far. I do struggle with trying to read two books at once, because in so used to reading one at a time and taking my time reading it. The strengths I see in Beah is that his story is a constant flow and his choice of vocabulary words. This book has actually caught my attention and I want to keep reading it so I really don't see any weaknesses with this book. As for Cisneros her weakness for me is that she jumps around from one story to another. But her strength is telling her story in a very creative way. she is writing it how she wants it to be not how it should be. The active reading is kind of hard for me because I'm still getting a hang of it.
Beah at a young age experienced many traumatizing things just trying to survive. After being separated from his friends and brother he became lost in a forest after passing through villages with no one left behind to in habit it. "I had passed through burnt villages where dead bodies of men, women, and children of all ages were scattered like leaves on the ground after a storm" (Beah 49). After days of being lost in the forest and being chased by a herd of boars, he finally finds a group of boys to travel with for a while. No 13-year-old boy or girl should ever go through this war or be treated like this just because of people older than they are. Just flip the world they know upside down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Being 13 John Mauritz
Being 13 was a documentary about teens at the age of 13 and how they use their social media. It was covered over 8 schools, with social medi...
-
My favorite chapter in The House on Mango Street is Darius in The Clouds. In the beginning Esperanza says "you can never have too much ...
-
Poetry/writing is my personal escape. I love poetry and writing because it's my own therapy. I can write what's on my mind, how I...
-
Rafe, a 5th grade teacher at Hobart Elementary School, teaches kids who are fairly new to the United States. Most kids speak english as the...
I completely agree and liked your second paragraph. That metaphor stood out to me as well. I highlighted it as I was reading.
ReplyDeleteThat's a very strong Quote. Looking at dead bodies at this age is pretty disturbing.
ReplyDeleteI agree that Beah is better at keeping the story flow going than Cisnero.
ReplyDeleteI am also not a fan of Cisnero's style of jumping around and not having the best flow.
ReplyDelete