My favorite chapter from our reading in The House on Mango Street would have to be Linoleum Roses. This chapter stands out to me because Cisneros friend, Sally gets married. Sally gets married before the eighth grade. Her husband does not let her do anything or hangout with anyone. The husband is controlling and won't let Sally even look out the window. Cisneros thinks that Sally hates life. Cisneros' also says "She says she is in love, but I think she did it to escape."
When I was about 13 years old, my very close friends, got hooked on to weed. They at first tried to hide the fact that they were smoking it until all of our friends started to notice how they smelled and how they were acting. My friends and I at first didn't mind that they were smoking it, we just didn't want them to try and influence us into trying it. Many weeks went by and I even attended my friend, Taylor's party, were he lit it up hard and the room turned into a "hot box", a room that is filled with smoke. It was so bad that I could barely see the TV that was 10 feet from me. I was surprised when my mom picked me up the next day that I did not smell like weed because I was around him all night.
After about 6 months, my friends that had been smoking started to try and get me and my other friends to try it. That was too much for us and we starting to push them out of our lives. I quit trying to hangout with them and stopped playing games with them. I did not want that stuff in my system because I was also a competitive runner at that time. Once I told my parents they banned me from being around them afterwards. I stopped talking to them until about 3 months ago when they had messaged me and told me that they quit smoking. We are back to being friends again.
Peer pressure sucks sometimes
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOur friends do not always make us better people.
DeleteIts good that you didn't break under peer pressure and stayed strong. Its also nice that they stopped smoking and you're friends again.
ReplyDelete