Sunday, October 8, 2017

Snapshot 4 Duncan Driscoll

Music and especially poetry mean a sense of escaping to me. If you are writing poetry or listening to music you get a sense of freedom, and liberation from reality. What ever problems you are dealing with, they are put on hold and forgotten about. It so crazy and amazing how your mood can change just because of a song. Music captures feelings and emotions and spills them out. It is way of expressing and freeing yourself. Listening to rap music is a way I like to escape reality. I am willing to say I listen to rap music about 75% of the day that I am awake. I am currently listening to it right now as I write this snapshot. It is very hard for me to pick a favorite artist that I enjoy listening to so I have to name a few. Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Travis Scott, Post Malone, ASAP Rocky, and the list goes on and on. But one particular artist that is my go to is Kendrick Lamar. He has a song for every type of mood. The best part about Kendrick is his songs age like wine. My first full album I heard of his was Good Kid Maad City. Every song on that album was phenomenal. My favorite was Mad City. I judge a song on if I can workout to it, and Mad City will always be in my rotation. My favorite line from Mad City was "Would you say my intelligence now is great relief?
And it's safe to say that our next generation maybe can sleepWith dreams of being a lawyer or doctorInstead of boy with a chopper that hold the cul de sac hostage." He wants a better future for children. He doesn't want them to end up in the streets just because of where they were born. Kendrick is very active in his community to make a difference in young lives. His message to the youth is there is always hope and a way out.
 


Good Kid Maad City album cover. Kendrick is from the rough streets of  Compton and he uses his platform to spread peace and to shine a light into his old city to make a difference 

2 comments:

  1. It still blows my mind how a song can completely change your mood for better or worse. Post Malone is a very talented artist and is my favorite out of the ones you listed! I loved your metaphor as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendrick is also, one of my favorite rappers and he knows that life can hit you hard. He knows how to change your mood in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Being 13 John Mauritz

Being 13 was a documentary about teens at the age of 13 and how they use their social media. It was covered over 8 schools, with social medi...