The Hobart Shakespeareans are a great example that no matter where you come from and what your background is you can still become something amazing and accomplish your dreams. All of the kids live in terrible neighborhoods and they are still capable of putting on a play and going on trips throughout the country. They also get to meet celebrities who think that what Rafe Esquith is doing is the greatest thing. "I like to use books where the main character is a kid going through the stuggles of growing up." Rafe uses Shakespeare to teach the kids about teamwork and to expand their vocabulary. The kids put on a play and are taught to work together and if they don't listen or misbehave their only punishment is that they dont get to participate in the event.
A specific personal goal for me in one year is to be in a fit enough shape to join the army. I've always wanted to be in the army but my weight has kept me from being able to. I started exercising at the beginning of the summer and will continue until I am able to complete the physical. To reach this goal I have to sacrifice a lot of the foods that I used to eat and push myself to fight through the pain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Being 13 John Mauritz
Being 13 was a documentary about teens at the age of 13 and how they use their social media. It was covered over 8 schools, with social medi...
-
My favorite chapter in The House on Mango Street is Darius in The Clouds. In the beginning Esperanza says "you can never have too much ...
-
Poetry/writing is my personal escape. I love poetry and writing because it's my own therapy. I can write what's on my mind, how I...
-
Rafe, a 5th grade teacher at Hobart Elementary School, teaches kids who are fairly new to the United States. Most kids speak english as the...
Good luck! My brother had to do the same thing to get into the army. You can do it if you want it bad enough!
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you want to sign up and help defend this great Nation. It's been getting harder for the military to get people to sign up that's not through conscription.
ReplyDelete