My favorite chapter in The House on Mango Street is Darius in The Clouds. In the beginning Esperanza says "you can never have too much sky." She describes how the sky keeps everyone safe and there are few beautiful things in the sad world. I really enjoy this chapter because it about a kid who does not like school. She calls him stupid and a fool; says he chases girls with gross things. But the young boy is very creative. His mind is imaginative. He looks at the clouds and describes what he thinks he sees. He says they look like pillows and popcorn. He points out God for everyone and makes it simple.
In my small town, I had a lot of kids who lived near me that I made friends with. There was this one kid Devin that lived near by and my parents told me to beware of him. He lived on main street by a shell gas station, about 3 blocks away from me. His parents let him run free. My parents thought he was a trouble maker and wild. He was in a few of my classes and I started to become friends with him against my parents wishes. We started to hang out everyday. We both enjoyed skateboarding and would teach each other tricks. We also used to play kickball, basketball, and countless other activities. I would get in trouble for hanging out with him. By high school my parents eventually saw the impact that he was having on me. I was having fun and they saw he wasn't a rule breaker. They realized he was actually a really good kid and judged him too early. We have gone on vacation together and continued to hang out everyday. We are still good friends today and plan stuff occasionally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Being 13 John Mauritz
Being 13 was a documentary about teens at the age of 13 and how they use their social media. It was covered over 8 schools, with social medi...
-
My favorite chapter in The House on Mango Street is Darius in The Clouds. In the beginning Esperanza says "you can never have too much ...
-
Poetry/writing is my personal escape. I love poetry and writing because it's my own therapy. I can write what's on my mind, how I...
-
Rafe, a 5th grade teacher at Hobart Elementary School, teaches kids who are fairly new to the United States. Most kids speak english as the...
My parents still worry about my friend selection.
ReplyDeleteMy parents had a huge problem with my friend selection and I had to change the way I look at people.
ReplyDeleteBetween 5th and 9th grade I had a friend who my parents didn't really want me to be around.
ReplyDeleteMy parents where like that to. But after a while they also came to the realization that it was as bad as they thought
ReplyDelete